Give the gift of your time and become a volunteer mentor for young people
Would you like to support a young person on their journey to gaining new skills and experience, becoming more self-confident and achieving their goals? If the answer is yes, we would love to hear from you.
Mentoring is at the heart of what we do here at ProjectScotland and we offer everyone we support the opportunity to be matched with a volunteer mentor. We are searching for people in a few areas across the country who are able to offer one hour of their time per week for a minimum of 6 months to help transform the life of someone else. As a volunteer mentor, you could support your mentee with whatever is important to them. This could be goal setting, identifying interests and strengths, confidence building, helping to establish a routine, social connections or just someone consistent to talk to and check in with to see how they are. The support you can offer is invaluable and can be life changing for you both!
How does it work?
- we provide training, support to apply to join the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme, ongoing support, access to lots of resources and a wonderful community of mentors across the country
- you are matched to one person and meet with them once a week for around one hour
- meetings would ideally be face to face, however many matches have been virtual over the past two years, using email/telephone/video chat/WhatsApp. There is the opportunity to do both.
- matches can last from 3-12 months depending upon the relationship and the needs of the mentee
What’s in it for you?
- Help transform your mentee’s life
- Develop communication and interpersonal skills e.g. coaching, motivating others, adaptability
- Gain transferable skills and experience volunteering with disadvantaged people
- Participate in regular support and training
- Meet new people, connect and have fun!
- Learn about yourself and gain a sense of achievement by supporting others
- Learn more about your community and the challenges that people can face
If you are interested in this opportunity please email firstname.lastname@example.org.