Strathmore Cricket Club
Meeting Centre Volunteer
Lochside Connections will open as a Meeting Centre from 25th May 2022 and would like to hear from volunteers who would like to help and become part of the Meeting Centre team.
Meeting Centres are a local resource, operating out of ordinary community buildings offering ongonig warm and friendly expert support to people and families affected by dementia. At the heart, the Meeting Centre is a social club where people meet to have fun, talk to others and get help that focusses on individual needs. Meeting Centres are based on sound research evidence on what helps people cope well in adjusting to living with the symptoms and changes that dementia brings.
Volunteers alongside staff trained in Meeting centre ethos provide an enjoyable and flexible programme for both the person with dementia and their family carers. All activities are designed to help people adapt to the challenges that living with dementia can bring. This involves a chance to get together social, to be creative, to get active and to share lunch. Family carers get assistance with practical and emotional issues, as well as being able to contribute to social club activities and enjoy life together more or use the opportunity to have a break from their caring role.
- To provide a safe and social environment for people living with mild to moderate dementia and their family or carers.
- To work closely with other staff and volunteers to ensure members receive a person-centred approach, including planning and delivering activities that are tailored to everyone’s physical and emotional needs wherever possible.
- To provide opportunities for members and family members to discuss issues that are concerning them in adjusting to living with dementia and to refer onto specialist help where appropriate.
- To help maintain the profile of the Meeting Centre and raise awareness of the service within the local community so that it is well-known and accessible.
- Undertake general kitchen duties including some food preparation and serving.
- To attend any relevant training provided by Strathmore Cricket Club/Meeting Centre.
- To assist with the day-to-day operations of running the Meeting Centre, including setting up, taking down and cleaning the facilities
- To support with monitoring member outcomes to enable the organisation to provide appropriate person-centred feedback for evaluation and reporting.
- To contribute to regular risk assessments of the activities provided at the centre
Are you interested and can spare a few hours a week/fortnight whether that be morning, afternoon, over lunch time or longer spells between 10am and 3pm? Lochside Connections would love to hear from you, get in touch to find out more.