Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI)
Shop Volunteer - Montrose (V12388)
The RNLI shops started life as simple cake stalls, run by volunteers and their supporters to raise money for the local Lifeboats and stations. These stalls started selling commemorative RNLI products in around 1920 and quickly moved on to selling souvenirs and Christmas cards. The first shop to be run as part of an actual station opened in 1990.
Today we operate 160 RNLI shops and this number is growing, based inland and on the coast across the UK and Ireland, attracting almost 1 million visitors every year selling an excellent range of unique and competitively priced products ranging from jam to clothing, and key rings to model boats, all to raise vital funds for our volunteer crew members and lifeguards.
For many people, buying something from an RNLI shop will be the first time that they come into contact with our Charity, and as a shop volunteer you could be the person that engages them to support us now, and in the future.
The impact you will make
You will help save lives at sea by generating vital funds as well as promoting the work of the RNLI to customers and raising awareness of key safety messages.
What you will be doing
- Interacting with customers, providing a high level of customer service and ensuring that the shop is a friendly and welcoming place
- Operating the till (including end of day cashing up) and credit card machine
- Alerting the Volunteer Shop Manager/Co-ordinator to any issues
- Championing the RNLI, it’s One Crew ethos and building its reputation in the local area
What you need for this role
- Good communication skills and personable manner
- Ability to contribute as part of a team
- Confident handling money
- Comfortable working in a customer service environment
What’s in it for you
- Join an inclusive and diverse organisation
- Have fun, meet new people and join a motivated and enthusiastic team who are making a difference
- Learn skills and gain experience to enhance your CV
- Gain the satisfaction of giving back
- Training to fulfil your volunteer role will be provided and reasonable out of pocket expenses reimbursed